Friday, January 22, 2010

If at first you don't succeed.....QUIT!

This has been my motto for most of my life. If it is difficult to learn or requires more than a moment of patience.....abort mission. I have such a hard time forcing my self to try, try again.

Most people learn this discipline in school. Studying, algebra, speech class... For me school was easy and mostly viewed as a social venue. Please note- school is the ONLY thing that I have ever been good at (notice the word "good" not "great")...my one sad talent. However, school technically doesn't fall into the talent category, so you can see my life long dilemma. Once my mother was asked what I was good at as a child, she literally had to think for a few moments and responded, "Mandy has always been a good reader." Seriously! All this to say- school required very little of me and I missed a giant opportunity to learn some patience and perseverance.

Excuses aside, this is a serious problem in my adult life. As I sit here at my desk, panicked at the thought of once again working on the dreaded website. The website. I hate it. I have decided I can't do it, who needs one, their lame....and that's that....I wish. The real story- it's not hard, it's just taking me longer than 5 minutes to figure out so I give up. I am aimlessly finding other things to do, procrastinating.

Ughh. Sometimes it's so hard to be a grown-up. I don't want to change. Sadly, I think my daughter has begun to exhibit the same less than desirable tendencies, therefore I must rid myself of this nasty habit once and for all. My Goal: To teach my children to work hard and persevere even when things don't come easy. At least I'll "try" ;)

Website....here I come. Gag.

1 comment:

  1. This made me feel a little more normal. "quitting" has become my gift in life and it's something as an adult I have faught to over come. Keep blogging! I enjoy your thoughts on life and this & that. Don't Quit! :)

    ReplyDelete